Noose. Mannequin. Some assembly required.

A mannequin dressed up to look like Sarah Palin is hanging by a noose in front of a West Hollywood home.

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) ― A Halloween decoration showing a mannequin dressed as vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin hanging by a noose from the roof of a West Hollywood home is drawing giggles from some passers-by and gasps of outrage from others.

The mannequin is dressed in brunet wig, glasses and a red business suit. Another mannequin dressed as John McCain emerges from a flaming chimney.

Chad Michael Morisette, who lives in the house, told CBS 2 News that drivers and bus passengers have been stopping to snap pictures of the macabre scene.

Morisette says the effigy would be out of bounds at any other time of year, but it's within the spirit of Halloween.

Here's a picture of what the man thinks is within the spirit of Halloween:

PalinMannequin.jpg

Caption: A mannequin hanging from a home in West Hollywood has been outfitted to look like Governor Sarah Palin.
One question: Does this mean it's OK to do the same thing with the Democratic candidates?

posted by Eric on 10.27.08 at 04:15 PM

Comments

M. Simon   ·  October 27, 2008 4:03 PM

I remember, but that was then, and times change!

Obviously, if images depicting violence against women are now OK, we are evolving!

Eric Scheie   ·  October 27, 2008 4:16 PM

Clearly racism is alive and well, even in West Hollywood.

Clint   ·  October 27, 2008 4:23 PM

Eric & M.Simon

Clearly this display is over the line and should be taken down.

but

Do you *really* think that a mock lynching or a noose carries the same connotations whether the subject is a black person or a white person? Honestly, I don't think you're that obtuse.

Dr. Nobel Dynamite   ·  October 27, 2008 5:05 PM

No, you're absolutely correct, Doctor. It's well established that lynching is far more lethal to blacks than to whites. Sarah Palin would only be lightly killed, but a black would be extremely killed.

Nice use of the word "obtuse," by the way. Ten points for irony.

Steve Skubinna   ·  October 27, 2008 5:20 PM

Well, depicting violence against white women might now be acceptable, but remember that fashionable "progressives" believe Sarah Palin isn't a woman.

Content of your character, not the color of your skin, Dr. No. Lynching anyone makes you despicable.

Heather   ·  October 27, 2008 5:41 PM

Steve

Oh, the joys of feigned* incomprehension. You see, Steve, there are certain symbols that carry a vastly different weight aimed at differing targets. For example, if someone were to leave a noose and Confederate flag nailed to my front door, I'd be upset, but somewhat baffled, given the fact that I am white as the day is long. If, however, someone were to leave a noose and Confederate flag nailed to the door of a black person, the message takes on an entirely different character.

Recognizing that mock lynching may carry a different connotation depending on the race of the target does not excuse bad behavior, but does account for context.

*I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're being intellectually dishonest rather than just slow. You're welcome.

Dr. Nobel Dynamite   ·  October 27, 2008 6:00 PM

What's the problem? It's not like some Obama supporter is saying that Gov. Palin should be gang-raped by black men!

It's OK for Obama supporters to do things like this. Don't you know? They're better than us. They're educated. They're not rednecks and racists! They're definitely not misogynist either! They support a woman's right to choose to abort her gay baby, even after it's been born alive! Of course, a woman is not free to choose to keep her baby ...

Rhodium Heart   ·  October 27, 2008 6:10 PM

Oh come on! This is getting way too serious! We all know that there are halloweenies among us. Frankly, I am more amused that even this left-winger believed his Sarah Palin mannequin should be well dressed for hanging from his chimney during this election cycle.

Penny   ·  October 27, 2008 8:01 PM

Don't do me any favors, Doc. Glad to see that "violence against women," previously a hot button taboo subject amongst the hysterical left, has been rendered a non issue.

Bros before hos, right?

Steve Skubinna   ·  October 28, 2008 5:36 AM

...For example, if someone were to leave a noose and Confederate flag nailed to my front door, I'd be upset, but somewhat baffled, given the fact that I am white as the day is long. If, however, someone were to leave a noose and Confederate flag nailed to the door of a black person, the message takes on an entirely different character

Dyno-mite has never heard that 1,000+ whites were lynched.

Especially pertinent is the case of Leo Frank, who was lynched for being a Yankee and a Jew. Probably more the former than the latter, because the South-at least at that time-had no really history of anti-Semitism.

Within the lifetimes of many still living, however, anti-Yankee sentiment was common.Not surprising, given the scale of the slaughter and the devastation caused by the War of Secession.

icr   ·  October 28, 2008 12:58 PM

Steve

I'm sorry, but my computer isn't displaying the comments I made that rendered "violence against women" (not exactly sure why you put that in quotes) a non issue. Could you please point out which statements of mine led you to believe that is my position?

Thanks!

Dr. Nobel Dynamite   ·  October 28, 2008 12:59 PM

icr

Do you *honestly* think that symbols carry the connotations no matter to whom they are directed? Really?

Dr. Nobel Dynamite   ·  October 28, 2008 1:06 PM

Apparently if your gay you can do what you want and call it art.

If I lived by them I would dress a mannequin in rainbow clothes and a shirt that said "I'm Gay" and hang that by a noose.

Could you imagine the uproar?

Chase   ·  October 28, 2008 2:04 PM

All I can say is, at least people are...passionate? Haha. I don't know what to tell you folks. This is just another indication of how important and catalyzed this election is turning out to be. People are seriously riled up about the issues and (obviously) the candidates. But, I suppose, if the folks who made the life-size voodoo doll are going to go out and vote against the party they so obviously don't support, then good for them. Take a page from that part, at least -- voting is still important. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOk9B1hYr4g

CanaryFace   ·  October 28, 2008 2:11 PM