how many buts does anyone need?

For some time now, I've been trying to figure out what would motivate a Republican to cross party lines and vote for Hillary even if he thought that Hillary would have a better chance of beating McCain than Obama.

I have tended to assume that hatred of McCain or wanting the GOP to lose would be the only possible reasons, but it finally dawned on me that there might be an additional reason.

There may be Republicans who don't mind having McCain lose to Hillary if that were the price that had to be paid for preventing the possibility of an Obama presidency. Thus, this group may be voting for Hillary for entirely different reasons than commonly believed -- i.e., not to save the Republican party from defeat, but to save America from Obama.

While this might be a form of strategy, is it reasonable to call it a Republican strategy?

Does anyone know of any crossover voters thinking this way? I don't think I'm just imagining them as there's this bumpersticker:

ABO.JPG

Wherever they are and whoever they may be, if Obama's the nominee at least McCain won't have to worry about them sitting it out.

It has to be remembered, though, that in politics, nothing is permanent. Rick Santorum, for example, was long known as an "Anyone But McCain" man. Until yesterday, that is. Now he's explaining "Why conservatives should support McCain."

Why? Because McCain is not only Anyone But Obama, he's also Anyone But Hillary!

posted by Eric on 04.22.08 at 03:33 PM

Comments

My current ranking is Hillary > McCain > Obama.

Phelps   ·  April 22, 2008 4:57 PM

Me too, Phelps. I'm not disturbed by another Clinton administration except for the dynastic issue. That part is unfortunate, but it's not enough to turn me against her. Instead I will have to be satisfied with hoping for different choices next time around.

tim maguire   ·  April 22, 2008 5:01 PM

If she gets in, next time around will be 2016. (Of course, I was already sick of the Clintons by 1996.....)

OTOH, if Obama were to somehow win, he'd be much more likely to be a one term president.

Eric Scheie   ·  April 22, 2008 5:06 PM

You vote for Hillary to keep the primary battle going. The assumption is that Obama will be the nominee regardless. It's the battle, that you want.

Ron Hardin   ·  April 22, 2008 6:02 PM

The Emproer Has No Clothes

Why does the media ignore the obvious racism involved in the Democratic nomination process. Is Hillary Clinton being a racist for not competing in those southern states with large Black populations? Or is Sen. Barack Obama riding to the nomination on a tide or Black Racism, or both? Why do we not see similar divisions in the black populations as we see in other populations when the black votes are considered during the Democratic primaries?

Ed Campbell   ·  April 26, 2008 12:34 PM