A Rebirth Of Mainstream Libertarianism?

Ronald Reagan said:

If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism.
Well guess who is speaking at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on August 8th? Sarah Palin.
Her first order of business as a private citizen is to speak Aug. 8 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California. She also wants to campaign for political candidates from coast to coast, and continue to speak her mind on the social networking site Twitter, one of her favorite venues to reach out to supporters.
And not just Twitter. You can find Sarah Palin On Facebook.

Cross Posted at Power and Control

posted by Simon on 07.29.09 at 04:41 PM

Comments

The part of me that wants to see the Republican party further marginalized says please, please, let Sarah Palin become the face of the party.

But, the part of me that doesn't want an utter nincompoop having a large influence on the national debate says please, please let Sarah Palin's 15 minutes pass as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Dr. Nobel Dynamite   ·  July 29, 2009 5:25 PM

Too late, Dr. ND. We already have" an utter nincompoop having a large influence on the national debate." Three in fact.
Utter Nincompoop #1: President Barack Hussein Obama
Utter Nincompoop #2: Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
Utter Nincompoop #3: Vice President Joe Biden.

OK. I'm being stupid. Joe Biden doesn't seriously have any influence on the national debate. He's the Vice President after all. But if you can point to any signs of intelligent life happening inside Nancy Pelosi's botoxed skull, you would be the first. As for the TOTUS, he does speak "stupidly" when he's off-prompter, no?

As for Sarah Palin, and as for your invocation of the extraordinarily tired "15 minutes of fame" cliche, for someone with nothing to add to the national debate, Sarah Palin has been all the Lefties having been talking about for about 11 months now. That's quite a long 15 minutes.

Anonymous   ·  July 29, 2009 9:19 PM

Anonymous above was me.

Although, technically, I am still anonymous using this super-ultra-secret nom de blog commenting.

Rhodium Heart   ·  July 29, 2009 9:20 PM

Dr. Dynamite is one of our resident lefty trolls. If he doesn't like Palin it is as good as an endorsement. Better.

You can smell the fear.

M. Simon   ·  July 30, 2009 2:01 AM

Rhodium--you inadvertently truncated Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi and Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr.'s names. Clearly you think that full names are important, so I'm glad glad to help. And the reason that the "lefties" have been talking about Sarah Palin for the last eleven months is because most of them are suffering the same kind of dilemma I raised in the post above. She is a fascinating train wreck of an imbecile, I'll give you that.

M.Simon--I'd like you ask you an honest question, and I would be in your debt if you could give me an honest answer. In your heart of hearts, do you actually, truly think that Sarah Palin is a desirable choice for POTUS? I'm not asking for your opinion about Obama, because that has been made clear--I'm asking whether you think Palin is a good option to lead our nation.

Dr. Nobel Dynamite   ·  July 30, 2009 10:24 AM

Dr. D,

Among the currently available choices. Absolutely.

Utopia is not an option except for Communists and terrorists.

She is very knowledgeable about oil. Which is going to be a major problem for quite some time even if Polywell Fusion works out.

She is not as strong in economics as I'd like. The guy from Eureka College mentioned in the post had a degree in it. But her basic philosophy is right. Less government = better economy. Having had executive responsibilities, it is more than evident to me that she can run the numbers. She knows about small business from her experience with her husband's fishing venture.

And her husband was very strong in libertarian type politics. That has to have had an influence. And it fits with the way she governed Alaska.

As you may or may not know I was a Fred Head. Sadly he couldn't get steam up in time. Sarah comes from the same part of the political spectrum as Fred.

And what do I like best about her? She drives her enemies (Republican and Democrat) batshit crazy.

If I come across a better candidate (for me) there is no doubt you will hear about it. I'm always on the lookout.

One other thing. Unlike Bill Clinton she inhaled. It may be possible to talk some sense into her re: the Drug War.

Does she have a future in politics? Possibly. Right now she definitely has a very strong base of support. We shall see what she does with it.

Oh. Yeah. She is a non-partisan corruption fighter. Given the current cesspool in Washington that will probably come in very handy.

M. Simon   ·  July 30, 2009 12:55 PM