Learn about the roots of growth!

Here's an item which guarantees fun for the whole family -- the Chia Obama!

chiaobama.JPG

For just $19.99, you can teach your children about civics and horticulture while amusing your friends.

In honoring our 44th US President, the Chia Pet company presents this Special Edition Chia Obama.

On the side of the Chia Obama planter are his famous words:

'"YES WE CAN."

Can you grow one?

YES YOU CAN.

Easy to do..... Fun to Grow.
Full growth in 1-2 weeks

Apparently, the Chia Obama is considered disrespectful in some quarters, so it has been banned by Walgreens. Naturally, ebay sellers are wasting no time selling them for more than twice the manufacturer's retail price. From one listing:
....The Walgreens in Tampa have decided not to sell this item as it is not representative of their corporate image. That is what the banned in the title refers too. I expect others will take the phony high ground and not want to sell it either. This item was show behind Rick Santelli on CNBC while he broadcasted from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The Obama camp is no friend of Rick and company. This will be a great gag gift. I forsee contests to see who can put the best hairstyle on their Obama Chia. I'm thinking maybe Mr T will be a winner. I have 4 available. Winner adds $7.95 for US shipping.
Well, people can buy and sell whatever they want.

Me, I've been getting along fine with my existing Chia Pet -- a perfectly good Tweety Bird!

tweety2.jpg

No change needed.

UPDATE: Via commenter "apotheosis," I see that Velociman is celebrating Tweety's birthday.

Happy birthday Tweety!

posted by Eric on 04.05.09 at 07:32 PM

Comments

Eric, your bird is, well... bald! Not that I have anything against bald birds, mind you. But Tweety?

Penny   ·  April 5, 2009 8:53 PM

OMG, I thought it was a joke at first, but they are real! Personally I think they are great, but apparently Walgreens has no sense of humor.

Lisa   ·  April 5, 2009 9:57 PM

Penny, Tweety only had three "hairs" in the cartoons. Maybe I should start three seeds!

Eric Scheie   ·  April 5, 2009 10:56 PM

The Walgreens in my neighborhood has a gigantic cage, one that oversized stuffed animals are usually displayed in, full of Obama hats and shirts, right by the checkout now.

It shocked me to see it there -- or anywhere. Then I was somewhat relieved by how full it was, like they weren't moving any creepy Leader totems. Then two of the four or five people in front of me in line noticed the cage, pried a few shirts out and bought them.

America's "corporate image" is North Korea's.

guy on internet   ·  April 6, 2009 2:20 AM

Velociman's celebrating Tweety's birthday.

apotheosis   ·  April 6, 2009 10:25 AM