Red meat traitor

Since 1994, I have been resolutely, unalterably, vehemently, opposed to the left. No matter what the right wing does, I will always vote for them over the left, even if I have to hold my nose. Even if I have to throw up.

But seeing a comment like the second one to this post by Ann Althouse reminds me of why I dislike "red meat" conservatives (and why they make me throw up):

This is depressing.

I really wish you would rethink your vote for Obama.

It is one thing that I have never forgiven you for.

Traitor.

Bear in mind that I never liked red meat conservatives. I just hate the left more, so despite the effect on my mental health I tend to appease their enemies. Unlike Ann Althouse, I didn't vote for Obama and never will.

But people like commenter "Titus" are being assholes, plain and simple. If they keep this shit up, they will kill the GOP's chances of winning in 2012.

Maybe that's what they want.

If so, they are hypocrites for calling Ann Althouse a traitor.

Yeah, yeah, I could have made a rational argument and explained exactly how treason is specifically defined in the Constitution and that Ann Althouse did not commit treason by voting for the wrong candidate, but these assholes have about as much respect for the Constitution as the left.

Hating the left more than the right is no guarantee of happiness.

posted by Eric on 05.05.11 at 01:18 PM

Comments

If that's really Titus, it's a resident troll who is tolerated for his amusing qualities. I'm not an Althouse commenter, but I've read enough of her threads to pick up on that.

Devilbunny   ·  May 5, 2011 11:36 PM

um... yeah. You gotta take into consideration that it's Titus.

And I will say that I also saw in Obama a hard, militaristic side. That's not necessarily a good thing, ya know?

Donna B.   ·  May 6, 2011 12:22 AM

Eric, you are just a nice guy, and you know what they say about nice guys...

I'm getting more than pissed at the Republicans. For all the effort expended by the Tea Party the good old boy system is alive and well in DC anyway. Also, Obama has started to triangulate on foreign policy, and it's driving a wedge into the right.

If Karl Rove is any indication, it's working. He was interviewed by Sean Hannity the other night, and fell all over himself praising Obama's "adoption" of Bush's policies. Hannity was reduced to stuttering - but, but, but...

So what we have is a Republican Party that's caved on deficit reduction, and now is behind Obama on foreign policy.

Maybe Althouse, Peggy Noonan, and others were correct in assessing Obama and voting for him. Dis the red meat, and let's all join hands and listen to Joan Baez--

Frank   ·  May 6, 2011 12:36 AM

I think that all of the above were wrong in voting for him (and those "libertarians" who voted for Obama were even more wrong), but my point is that voting for a bad candidate is simply not treason. If Titus is just being a comedian, fine.

But Obama Derangement Syndrome is causing a lot of people on the right to absolutely lose their marbles. Especially right now, they actually seem angrier at him over killing bin Laden than they were before, which is simply irrational.

Would they be happier if the raid had failed?

Eric Scheie   ·  May 6, 2011 10:00 AM

Frank, I hasten to add that I have predicted for a long time that Obama would triangulate, and was pooh-poohed in the comments.

Eric Scheie   ·  May 6, 2011 10:27 AM

Eric, the red meat Republicans are just flailing around out of frustration. The party lacks real leadership, and for all the good the Tea Party did, it is a very loose group without any leadership.

The calls are already coming in for a quick exit from Afghanistan. If we pull back like Ron Paul and the left want, and in a grand compromise with Republicans on deficit reduction also drastically reduce defense spending, voila, you've given Obama a peace dividend and a second term, and the time he needs to remake America.

That's what I see ahead. It stinks.

Frank   ·  May 6, 2011 10:51 AM

Voting for a bad candidate isn't treason. For that matter, contrary to what "red meat conservatives" often say, there is no "treason to the constitution"--treason strictly applies to war and insurrection, not to unconstitutional behavior (which is evil, but not treason).

Having said that, many Democrats, both politicians and non-politicians, are traitors. They have committed treason according to Article 3 of the Constitution: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

Harry Reid was definitely adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort, when he said "the war is lost." Michael Moore committed treason when he said that al-Qaeda were the Minutemen and were going to win. I would go so far as to say that everyone who actively worked for withdrawal in Iraq--including every one of the peace marchers--was a traitor, according to the Constitution. And yes, that would include our current President--as well as our current Vice-President, our current Secretary of State, the last several Democrat candidates for President, and every Democrat in the Senate and most in the House in the 2007-8 Congress, most of whom are still there. Also it would include most left-wing pundits, as well as a few faux conservatives.

The reason we don't prosecute them isn't because they aren't traitors. It's because the GOP leadership are a bunch of beta male cowards who won't fight, and spend all their time panting and playing dead for the Dominant Party.

If we had had a GOP President with balls, we could have sent many thousands, maybe millions of the Dominant Party to prison camps, maybe even to firing squads. We might even have a free country, instead of the Communist hellhole it now is, run by a bunch of draft dodgers.

Ken   ·  May 6, 2011 11:07 AM

I'm torn on the whole thing.

I'm happy he had OBL killed.

I wish he had handled the aftermath better, it's been amateur hour (I was out of the country until Wednesday night so all I knew was that he was dead) as so much of Obama's foreign policy.

I also have to laugh about how he absolutely did not want to capture OBL.

As for Althouse's vote of OBL, willful ignorance is the biggest sin there is IMO. She displayed it tremendously and has yet to admit it.

"He's changed" is her attitude, no, he lied.

He lied blatantly, obviously and rudely (He accused me of being stupid by implying that I would believe his lies).

She fell for platitudes and happy talk.

Not treason, but a reason to question her intelligence and her honesty in that she still won't admit she believed because she wanted to.

Veeshir   ·  May 6, 2011 11:27 AM

I felt similarly, especially after reading on the Lincoln Douglass debate, and seeing some of the same exact wording used that Kerry used "they don't want liberty, they can't handle it" etc, and I just thought "wow they having changed in over a century"

but, just as I was disgusted and amazed at how unhinged the Left became during Bush (even now-former friends who turned into hatemongers), now under Obama, I am amazed at the crap I see on so many conservative sites, or forwarded to me from conservative friends. The Tea party which was about freedom and economics, just seems like another mouthpiece for either the christian right or the uneducated. Which is the opposite of my hopes for it.

I feel like, it's coming to the point where I can't vote for either party. Of course, living in Chicago my vote was already decided for me in most cases :). Kirk is not so bad and I did vote for him, mainly because I wasn't going to vote for the mob banker running against him.

plutosdad   ·  May 6, 2011 2:33 PM

As for Althouse's vote of OBL

Heh, obviously I meant, "...vote for Obama".

Veeshir   ·  May 6, 2011 3:32 PM

Frank, if you are going to link Baez songs, Three Horses is much more appropriate.

Sometimes the left gets it. They just don't realize that they did.

It's a beautifully dark song.

Kathy Kinsley   ·  May 6, 2011 7:25 PM

Ken, don't count on the Republicans. They are just Democrat-lite. For now.

Kathy Kinsley   ·  May 6, 2011 7:29 PM

Titus is a performance artist; look for amusingly inappropriate comments, whether to the topic or to the persona he's heretofore put forth.

In this case he's assuming the rule you attribute to him, but one which wildly does not fit his usual politics.

rhhardin   ·  May 6, 2011 9:29 PM

Kathy, thanks for the link. It's a song I'm not familiar with. A note you may be interested in, and an admission of age --

In October of 1967 I had an encounter of sorts with Joan, at the Oakland, California Induction Center. She was protesting the draft of course. I'd lost my student deferment after dropping out that spring, and had spent the summer in and out of the Haight/Ashbury in the City. Anyway, when I got off the Greyhound bus in front of the center, there was a large group of protesters sitting on the sidewalk, arms linked. Right in front of the main entrance was Joan and her mother arm in arm. As we filed into the building I had to step across her arms while she she was singing "We Shall Overcome" -- that angelic voice haunts me to this day.

I ended up enlisting in the Air Force, but the induction center ordeal that we all went through is recounted here: (and yes I got really drunk and smoked some pot afterword)

Frank   ·  May 6, 2011 11:45 PM