No Jimmy Carter

I know a lot of folks like to compare Obama to Jimmy Carter these days. But compare Jimmy Carter's failed hostage rescue attempt Operation Eagle Claw with Obama's successful killing of Osama. Of course in these matters one must not only be good but also lucky. Now if only economics worked that way as well. Of course Obama is starting out with the handicap of being no good at it. So it is difficult to tell how much luck would avail.

One thing that was done right in the operation was to limit the amount of equipment required for the mission to be a success. Of course there were no hostages to rescue and only one body to bring out. Still, as some wag put it: For the first time in the Obama Presidency I'm proud of my President. And as a Navy Man I must say that I'm very proud of my service today. I'll go with what is flying on every jack staff of the US Navy since 9/11:

Don't Tread On Me

FirstNavyJack.jpg

Cross Posted at Power and Control

posted by Simon on 05.02.11 at 01:25 PM

Comments

I agree. This is a real accomplishment for President Obama. And a good day in the life of the United States.

Eric Scheie   ·  May 2, 2011 4:36 PM

Now if someone could slip a copy of Henry Hazlitt's ECONOMICS IN ONE LESSON and a copy of Bastiat's THE LAW on the president's night table next to his copy of Clausewitz.

Bilwick1   ·  May 2, 2011 4:38 PM

You guys are too gracious in praising Obama. Stalin killed a lot of Nazis.

Frank   ·  May 2, 2011 9:22 PM

Frank,

And the Nazis killed a LOT of Communists. Which IMO helped prevent a hot WW2. Too bad they couldn't both lose.

In any case - credit where due. I didn't think he had it in him.

I'm also heartened by the fact that the war on Islamic Radicalism seems to be at this point firmly entrenched US policy. No President could have been more opposed to that policy. And yet here he is putting some effort into it and not doing much in the way of keeping his promises on that front. In other words: BushII.

My hope was that Bush would get a second term and entrench the policy. And so it is. Kerry's loss was a very happy day indeed.

M. Simon   ·  May 3, 2011 2:29 AM

M. Simon,
I feel the same way you do, but...
Obama is still the next generation of the radicals I grew up with, the ones who marched down University Ave. in Berkeley to celebrate the victory of the Viet Cong. There's a disconnect between the man who befriended Bill Ayers and sat in Wrights pew for 20 years, and the actions he now takes in foreign policy. I have a theory why he took this action, why he focuses on Pakistan while ignoring Iran and it's ally Syria. We'll see, but I don't trust him.

Frank   ·  May 3, 2011 10:12 AM