A knee sock jihad might be premature at this time

I am in a hurry today, so I have no time for a long and thoughtful post.

However Sarah emailed me a link to a humorous article which is simply not, um, "family friendly" enough to be quoted at length in this blog.

I didn't know what to do with it, until I saw this post by Ann Althouse which included a poll about knee socks. The last time I looked at the poll, it said this:

Knee socks? On a grown woman?
Selection   Votes
Yes, there are many ways to wear knee socks charmingly.  23% 428
Yes, if you're just the right person, with just the right style, like her.  31% 587
Yes, but only if your skirt is super-long and no one can see they're not tights.  6% 113
No. This is bad. Stop kidding yourself, ladies.  41% 771
1,899 votes total

For some context, the poll specifically referenced this picture:

wrongkneesocks.jpg

And I have to confess that I was in a hurry, so I answered the poll without looking at the picture. I don't mean to judge anyone's tastes, but in fairness, I think good case can be made that the woman above is kidding herself. Perhaps it's the colors, and perhaps the shoes, but my personal opinion is that something does look ridiculous about those knee socks. She might even be what they call a "fashion victim." (If she is, perhaps we should be feeling sorry for her.)

But would it be fair to generalize about all knee socks simply on the basis of some knee socks?

How about these knee socks from the piece Sarah sent me?

joystickkneesocks.jpg

Here's the caption:

"Yes, honey, that's great. Play Space Invaders with my wang. I just have to catch my breath here. Yes, sure, use it like a gear shift and make race car noises. That will be a fun activity for you while I wait for the feeling to come back to the lower half of my body."

While I can't be sure, I strongly suspect that had the above girl been the subject in the Althouse poll, the results might have turned out differently.

Just trying to be fair and objective, and inject a little gratuitous immoral relativism.

And NO, I am NOT accusing Ann Althouse of advocating jihad!

MORE: Commenter Kizmet reminded me that I shouldn't be sexist. And while it's probably irrelevant to Ann Althouse's poll, I was reminded of the knee socks in John Edwards' very fashionable summer outfit:

BBros2Ecb.jpg

I wouldn't recommend that as prison wear, though.

posted by Eric on 04.10.11 at 12:57 PM

Comments

Yes, if you're just the right person, with just the right style....

That style being: slutty. (Not that there's anything wrong with it.) That's my vote, anyway.

DJ   ·  April 10, 2011 2:57 PM

I'm in the 23% on that poll (after seeing the Althouse picture). The pic from Sarah's article wouldn't have changed my opinion one way or the other. But, then, I like knee socks.

Kathy Kinsley   ·  April 10, 2011 6:16 PM

Oh, and I moseyed over to that NSFW article Sarah sent you - and found I'd seen it before (don't remember who sent it to me). It was just as funny the second time.

Kathy Kinsley   ·  April 10, 2011 6:21 PM

Knee socks are extremely becoming when worn with a kilt.

Kizmet   ·  April 10, 2011 6:44 PM

This is a test!

Mihai Bocsaru   ·  April 10, 2011 8:03 PM

It's not the knee socks, or the shoes that I find repellent. It's the whole chic anorexic look.

Will   ·  April 10, 2011 8:58 PM

Hey that is Olivia Munn

Joe   ·  April 11, 2011 10:53 AM

Joe, you're right about the joy stick girl.

Eric Scheie   ·  April 11, 2011 12:18 PM

Kathy I'm with you in the 23% group. However, much as I hate to be judgmental, if the poll question had shown a man looking like John Edwards, I probably would have been in the "Stop kidding yourself" category. A properly worn kilt might be another matter.

Eric Scheie   ·  April 11, 2011 12:20 PM

I couldn't get into the blog. I thought I was Eric's punishment for sending him that article! And Eric... Now everyone knows I'm a bad influence. Oh, the shame, the horror, the knee socks!

(I have to say I NEVER expected anyone to link this with knee socks.) And I used to wear knee socks when I was young and skinny. Then again I wore them with the female version of a kilt (simplified/pre pleated) and with a white blouse, so there was this whole school girlish look about it. I hope. OTOH maybe I was kidding myself!

Sarah   ·  April 11, 2011 10:44 PM