Giving Us All Grief

Eric has a nice post up on grief mongers and their lawyers. Each little grief enacted into our common law (by judges decisions on what claims are actionable) adds friction to the system. A kind of creeping arthritis. The grief is justified and now everyone suffers. But just a little from each. So it creeps up until movement is so painful it stops.

Eric also sent me a link about a mother who is trying to stop the legal use of methadone because her son died from some that was diverted from the legal market. Let me amend that. Her action will not lead directly to that but this will. And there is a strong connection between the two.

One commenter calls for help for the grief stricken mother.

Laura says:
March 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm

There are good suggestions in these comments.

I just wanted to appeal on Katie's behalf to anyone reading this who can HELP her, in real-time, to do what your heart may be calling you to do and help her, with legal expertise, etc.

I have some good suggestions too.
OK. I'll help: END DRUG PROHIBITION

So people in the presence of an overdose are not afraid to call 911. So the antidote for opiate poisoning is freely available for those who want it.

===

So far as I can see not one suggestion here will make things better. Oh. People will get punished. But we have been down that road for 95+ years with no measurable effect (except the addition of a crime problem to a drug problem).

Stop letting your pain drive you into stupidity.

1. More punishment = more profit for dealers
2. More profit for dealers = more dealers

Is that what you had hoped to accomplish?

And that is not all I suggested:
Now if Henry had only obeyed the law...........
It is a damn shame but you just can't seem to be able to make people obey the law. Pity. Obviously I need to get more into the spirit of things so I did:
We have to get that methadone off the street. It is unfair competition for heroin.
So who do I think the real culprit is? Henry's parents - the grief stricken one(s) - for getting a divorce.

Cross Posted at Power and Control

posted by Simon on 03.12.11 at 02:55 PM

Comments

I can see that decriminalizing drugs would save taxpayers money, prevent a lot of foolish young people from being saddled with a criminal record, and destroy the profits of the drug gangs, crime families and organizations that currently produce and smuggle them. On the other hand I don't think it will stop those striving for quick wealth and power through criminal, deadly, and dangerous means. I think the gangs and crime families will use kidnappings, extortion, sex slavery, and other types of smuggling activities to make up the shortfall. I'm not saying it couldn't help; just that it wouldn't have miraculous results.

Will   ·  March 12, 2011 7:41 PM

Maybe we could provide an incentive to avoid divorce by not voting for divorced politicians.

Joseph Hertzlinger   ·  March 12, 2011 11:25 PM

Thanks for the link, and for daring to go where I didn't! I've been agonizing over whether it would be possible to persuade Katie Granju that further crackdowns in the war on drugs will only increase (and not decrease) human suffering, but a more cynical friend advised me that all arguments would be hopeless.

If he is right, that means that the argument is not with her, but with those who would potentially follow her. I worry that those are persuaded by emotional arguments will not be swayed by rational arguments, and vice versa.

Eric Scheie   ·  March 13, 2011 10:35 AM

Will · March 12, 2011 7:41 PM

You will note that all the crimes you mentioned have victims. That makes crime reduction in those areas easier.

And smuggling is a direct result of prohibitions (or quasi prohibitions via taxation).

We could solve the "Mexican" problem by setting up a legal system for easy entry and exit. Right now we have a system that acts as a one way valve (with leaks).

M. Simon   ·  March 13, 2011 4:22 PM

Joseph Hertzlinger · March 12, 2011 11:25 PM

Especially those that make a habit of it. I'm willing to allow one mistake if the pol has something very good to offer.

My favorites today? Palin and Gary Johnson.

M. Simon   ·  March 13, 2011 4:28 PM

Simon "smuggling is a direct result of prohibitions (or quasi prohibitions via taxation)." ............

Yep; alcohol, tobacco, counterfeit label goods, animals, people, there will always be something taxed or banned,and therefore profitable for smugglers to move.

Will   ·  March 13, 2011 7:14 PM