No Newt is good Newt

In an article at The Hill discussing Sarah Palin's electability, I read something a bit unsettling:

...there are other names closely associated with the Tea Party movement, of which Palin is a prominent member, who might run: Rep. Mike Pence (R) of Indiana, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (R) and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.).

Perhaps I am running with the wrong Tea Party crowd, but the Tea Party people to whom I have spoken around here are generally of two minds about Gingrich. The libertarians loathe him for being a drug war mongering statist (the Ron Paul libertarians additionally see him as a Neocon), while the social conservatives see him as an adulterer who abandoned his cancer-stricken wife, and who is now opportunistically striking a socon pose. Interestingly, both the libs and the socons distrust Gingrich as a big government guy.

So if he is in fact "closely associated with the Tea Party movement," I am not seeing it.

But perhaps I'm running with the wrong crowd.

Am I missing something? I hate to be deluding myself.

posted by Eric on 12.15.10 at 10:48 AM

Comments

No Republicans outside D.C. are "associated" with Gingrich. He's uniquely universally disdained. I don't know any Tea types who are Santorum fans, either, though I suppose they do exist.

If I were the kind of person who'd work for The Hill, and I'd written this article the way it's written, the reason I'd have put Santorum and Gingrich in the same list as Palin and Pence would have been to put libertarian-minded readers off Palin and Pence, and Tea stuff in general, by associating them with two (very) wrong crowds.

But I'm sure it's totally innocent.

guy on internet   ·  December 15, 2010 11:23 AM

Did Newt sign-on to the Global Warming bandwagon?

Anonymous   ·  December 15, 2010 12:28 PM

"closely associated with the Tea Party movement"

By whom? Did they ever mention a source, or is it one of those "well everyone thinks so" sorts of media deals?

I can think of two camps who want Gingrich closely associated with the Tea Party:
People trying to discredit the Tea Party, or the GOP 'elite' trying to weasel their way back into power by desperately clinging to a popular movement.

guy   ·  December 15, 2010 1:51 PM

Belongs in the same bucket as other racist wackaloons, never to be taken seriously again.

Gingrich is the source of the bizarre "Kenyan anti-colonialist" meme about the President, as well as a number of other bigoted remarks. These include comparing the Park51 community center to Nazis erecting a sign near the Holocaust Museum. He claimed Justice Sotomayor is a racist. He described bilingual education as teaching "the language of living in a ghetto." He proposed denying welfare benefits to young mothers and instead using the funds to establish orphanages. He thinks Christians are oppressed by "a gay and secular fascism."

And yet he's taken seriously, gets softball interviews on his book tour, and generally hasn't been held to account at all.

Don   ·  December 15, 2010 4:05 PM

As a non-card-carrying, non-member of the Tea party, I consider Gingrich a "policy wonk" who enjoys using words more than anything else. He is not a man of action, he prefers to "pontificate" (or, in other words, "yakk on and on"). I don't value him as a Conservative or Libertarian because I think philosophising, being on talk shows, and the like is more important for him than Doing.

Susan Lee

Susan Lee   ·  December 15, 2010 6:03 PM

Guy - Media Matters? If they hate him, I'm going to have to look again.

I agree with him on the mosque. The part you didn't quote: "We would never accept the Japanese putting up a site next to Pearl Harbor. There's no reason for us to accept a mosque next to the World Trade Center."

Otoh, Tea Party - nah. He's not a fiscal conservative. Tea Party isn't interested. And I agree with Susan about that tendency to prefer talk to action.

Kathy Kinsley   ·  December 15, 2010 7:17 PM

Gingrich is not very popular with the Tea Party movement. He lost us when he appeared in an AGW propaganda ad sitting next to Pelosi. Pence and Santorum are seen as part of the GOP establishment, the gang that is trying to elbow Palin out of the race.

StandingPat   ·  December 15, 2010 7:53 PM

Remember Sanctimonious Santorum tried to ram PAWS down hobby dog breeders' throats. He is a Progressive and a RINO and needs to be retired.

BTW... PAWS is coming back as PUPS.

Karen   ·  December 15, 2010 8:05 PM

Newt is a smart guy with a morals problem and a limited understanding of subjects that he speaks about, such as "global warming." He is doing exactly what he should: write books, and give interviews.

Clayton E. Cramer   ·  December 16, 2010 2:40 PM

Newt is, well Newt.

He doesn't get it, and is therefore irrelevent. So much for Newt. For therest of our elected officials, you need to get it. Smaller government, less intrusion, follow the constitution as written; that's all.

If you can't comprehend that, you have no place in government. Attempting exercise of authourituy outide of the consitution = treason, and should be punishable by death.

Yo Mama   ·  December 19, 2010 6:35 PM

Don,
Didn't hit your link, but most of that sounds reasonable.

An imam wants to build a victory mosque near Ground Zero. Very uncool.

Sotomayor--'wise Latina' knows more than some white guy. Ummm, sounds racist to me.

Welfare money for mothers does not help them or their children except in the short term. What helps them is getting married to a good man, building a family, listening to Dave Ramsay, going to a Bible believing church, etc., etc.

As to secular fascism, I don't recall too many Christians saying 'God says go buy GM and give it to the unions'. And that was about as pure fascism as you've seen in the last thirty years in America. So, yes, I'm oppressed.

As to the Kenyan thing, D'nesh D'souza argues that Obama has rage, and he looks to the sources of the rage. Gingrich's theory is one such. It is interesting that Obama has been so inept with dealing with our best overseas friends, the Brits. Its almost like he's trying to be a jerk.

As to what he is...he's smart, he's creative, sometimes not wise...he's not presidential material.

And I would think Libertarians would be in disdain over his breakng his marriage contract to his wife as well. If a Libertarian society has any chance, I'd think it would have to have a very solemn view of the importance of honoring one's word.

Anonymous   ·  December 20, 2010 2:11 PM